10 k
Safety and security

Political situation

Keep up to date with local events and avoid any demonstrations.


Internet services are available in Nauru, but certain sites, including some social media sites like facebook are blocked by law.


There is a low threat from terrorism, but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Find out more about the global threat from terrorism, how to minimise your risk and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack.

Local laws and customs

There are heavy penalties for all drug offences.

Same-sex relations have been decriminalised, however, Nauru society is conservative and open displays of affection between same-sex partners may offend. For more information read our travel advice page for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGB&T) travellers.

Pointing is considered rude and may cause offence.

Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.


British passport holders need a visa before travelling to Nauru.  For details on how to apply contact:
Nauru High Commission, Ratu Sukuna House, Victoria Parade, PO Box 2420, Government Buildings, Suva, Republic of Fiji, Tel: + 679 331 3566/331 2032, Fax: + 679 331 2032/331 8311, e-mail:


Nauru Consulate General, Level 3, 99 Creek Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000, Tel: +61 7 3220 3044, email: or:

Director of Immigration, Customs and Immigration, Department of Justice, Government Building, Yaren District, Republic of Nauru, Tel: + 674 444 3152 / 3162, Fax: + 674 444 3832.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 3 months from the date of entry into Nauru.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry to, and exit from Nauru. You should consult the immigration authority in Nauru to confirm before travelling and you should be aware that there is no British High Commission in Nauru to issue replacement travel documents once in country.


Visit your health professional at least 4 to 6 weeks before your trip to check whether you need any vaccinations or other preventive measures. Country specific information and advice is published by the National Travel Health Network and Centre on the TravelHealthPro website and by NHS (Scotland) on the fitfortravel website. Useful information and advice about healthcare abroad is also available on the NHS Choices website.

Medical facilities in Nauru are very basic and medical evacuation by air ambulance to Australia is necessary in most cases. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

Nauru is subject to periodic outbreaks of typhoid.

There has been an outbreak of dengue fever. You should take steps to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes and follow the advice of the National Travel Health Network and Centre.

There have been reports of visitors being bitten by stray dogs. Be vigilant, particularly on the beach. If you are approached by a dog, do not run. Reaching down as if to pick up something off the ground can be enough to scare dogs away. If you are bitten seek medical attention immediately.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 117 or 118 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment

Natural disasters

Being so close to the equator, Nauru does not experience tropical cyclones. However, during the wet season, which normally runs from November to April, strong winds and sea swells are sometimes experienced.

Nauru is subject to periodic spells of drought. These can be severe. During times of drought water restrictions may be put in place.

During the wet season from November to April, strong winds, sea swells and tropical cyclones sometimes occur. Monitor regional and international weather updates from the World Meteorological Organisation and the Fiji Meteorological Service Fiji Meteorological Service, and checking local newspapers and local radio.


Nauru uses the Australian dollar. There is one ATM on the island located at the Menen Hotel, but it is often out of cash. Make sure to take enough cash with you to cover your trip. Credit cards have very limited acceptance in Nauru.

Travel advice help and support

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London on 020 7008 1500 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send us a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.