449 k
When is the best time to visit Macao?
  • The very best time to go is from November to January (neither hot nor cold)
  • A good time to go is from September to June (if you pack the right clothes)
  • This is purely from a climate point of view of course.
Safety and security


Crime levels are low but pick pocketing and other street crime can occur in some areas. Take extra care of passports, credit cards and money in crowded areas. Be careful of your belongings when checking out of hotels. Take extra care when visiting casinos late at night.

The Tourism Crisis Management Office (853) 2833 3000 (24 hour hotline) are able to provide general assistance in English, Cantonese, Putonghua and Portuguese to tourists in Macao.


There is a low threat from terrorism, but you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Find out more about the global threat from terrorism, how to minimise your risk and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack.

Local laws and customs

Do not become involved with drugs of any kind. Possession of drugs can lead to imprisonment.

Do not take photographs of military installations.

Take care when visiting Macao to stay in licensed accommodation. You risk penalties of up to MOP3000 (£300) if you stay in illegal accommodation. See the Macao Government Tourist Information website for more details.

The Macao authorities consider the taxi service Uber to be illegal, and the Macao Police has recently been taking enforcement action against both the drivers and passengers of unlicensed taxi services, including Uber.

Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.


Although Macao is now part of the People’s Republic of China it remains a Special Administrative Region with its own immigration controls. You can stay in Macao for up to 3 months without a visa. If you intend to work in Macao you must get a visa before arrival. Contact the Macao Immigration Department.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of one month from the date of entry into Macao. If you are staying longer than one month your passport must be valid for the duration of your visit.

Visits to mainland China

If you intend to travel to mainland China via Macao using a British passport you must get a Chinese visa before arrival at the border. Failure to do so could result in a fine and possible detention by the mainland Chinese authorities. If you’re entering Macao via mainland China and leaving again via the mainland you’ll need to have a double or multiple entry visa to re-enter mainland China.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency travel documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Macao.


Visit your health professional at least 4 to 6 weeks before your trip to check whether you need any vaccinations or other preventive measures. Country specific information and advice is published by the National Travel Health Network and Centre on the TravelHealthPro website and by NHS (Scotland) on the fitfortravel website. Useful information and advice about healthcare abroad is also available on the NHS Choices website.

Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

Dengue Fever is common in Macao; you should take precautions against mosquito bites.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

Natural disasters

The typhoon season normally runs from April to October. Typhoons very occasionally hit Macao and may cause flooding and landslides. Warning is given in advance. Public offices shut down when the ‘Typhoon 8’ signal is hoisted. You should follow advice issued by the local authorities.

Monitor local and international weather updates from the World Meteorological Organisation, the China Meteorological Administration and the Japan Meteorological Agency. See our Tropical cyclones page for advice on what to do if you’re caught up in a tropical storm.

Travel advice help and support

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London on 020 7008 1500 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send us a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.